Combating Human Trafficking and Forced Labor
Event ends: March 24, 2010 2:30 pm
ILRF, Executive Director, Bama Athreya to moderate the last panel. Below is the schedule for the program:
8:30 am Registration
9:00 am Welcome Remarks
9:15 am Promoting the Rights of Migrant Domestic Workers through International Conventions
• Ana Avendano, Assistant to the President for Immigration and Community Action, AFLCIO
• Carol Pier, Associate Deputy Undersecretary, Bureau of International Labor Affairs, U.S.
Department of Labor
• Antonia Pena, Domestic worker and leader at Casa de Maryland; Member, Coordinating
Committee of the National Domestic Worker Alliance (Ashwini Jaisingh, Casa de
Maryland, will translate).
Moderator: Neha Misra, Solidarity Center, AFL‐CIO
10:45 am New Directions for U.S. International Anti‐trafficking Policies and Programs
• Jane Sigmon, Senior Coordinator for Programs, Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in
Persons, U.S. Department of State
• Matt Friedman, Regional Programme Manager, United Nations Inter‐agency Project on
• Kathy Blakeslee, Director, Women in Development, U.S. Agency for International
Moderator: Ann Jordan, American University Washington College of Law
12:15 pm Lunch
12:45 pm Regulating Trade in Goods Made with Forced Labor
• Marcia Eugenio, Director, Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking,
Bureau of International Labor Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor
• Christian Levesque, Senior Associate, Conrad & Scherer, LLP
• Katerina Karousos, Acting Chief, Multilateral Programs Unit, Office of International
Affairs, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Moderator: Bama Athreya, International Labor Rights Forum
2:15 pm Closing Comments
Please register by going to www.wcl.american.edu/secle/registration.
General registration is free but required. For further information, please contact:
Office of Special Events & Continuing Legal Education, American University Washington College of Law.
Phone: 202.274.4075; Fax: 202.274.4079; or firstname.lastname@example.org